SOS Children's Villages International, Innsbruck, Vienna
Desired areas of expertise:
SOS Children's Villages, founded in 1949, is the world's largest non-governmental organization focused on supporting children and young people without parental care, or at risk of losing it.
Together with partners, donors, communities, children, young people and families, we enable children to grow up with the bonds they need to develop and become their strongest selves. We speak up for each child’s rights and advocate for change so all children can grow up in a supportive environment.
Legal Advisor (f/m/d)
Location: Innsbruck, Vienna, Faridabad, Addis Ababa, Nairobi, Dakar, Lomé, Casablanca, Amman, Skopje, Tallin, La Paz, San José
Duration: Unlimited, full time
The General Counsel’s Office unit acts as an internal advocate in actively promoting the topic of integrity and corruption prevention at all levels of the federation. We deal with compliance with anti-corruption legislation and related fields of law and ensure that the federation and member associations carry out their work in accordance with laws, regulations, industry standards, internal policies pertaining to corruption prevention and SOS Children’s Villages’ key values.
Additionally, the General Counsel’s Office provides independent legal advice, guidance and/or counsel to SOS Children’s Villages International (General Secretariat (GSC)/International Office) and its executive leadership, specifically in the areas of corporate law, federation law, general contract law, and related fields of law.
The incumbent reports to the General Counsel and provides support in all aspects of complex legal and organizational governance matters. The role includes advancing and coordinating agreed governance projects with co-workers from different units across the organization as well as providing subject matter expertise in the areas of general contract-, employment-, corporate-, federation law, corporate governance and general legal affairs. The incumbent administers and provides for the revenue from legacies made for SOS Children’s Villages International and coordinates the work between the relevant Member Associations and units. The incumbent partners with internal stakeholders and provides independent advice, guidance and counsel to SOS Children´s Villages International. This includes input to, or design of the Statutes, policies and guidelines according to defined specifications. The incumbent closely cooperates with third parties, e.g. business partners, external lawyers, external auditors and government bodies.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Draft and conduct legal and analytical review of contracts, other agreements and legal documents like Power of Attorneys, both federation internal as well as with external participation in specified areas.
- Draft, legally review and provide input on regulations, statutes, policies and policy support documents as asked by and in collaboration with the supervisor.
- Provide strategic legal advice and develop legal opinions for SOS Children’s Villages International on issues in the areas of corporate law, federation law and general legal affairs, with specific focus on General Counsel’s Offices of association/statutes, general policy/ guideline review, etc.
- Raise awareness of conducting business in accordance with legal requirements and uphold SOS Children’s Villages’ values of courage, commitment, trust and accountability.
- Be a role model for safeguarding and ensure the organization keeps up to the commitments related to safeguarding. Provide accurate legal advice related to safeguarding
- Establish and maintain good professional relationships with colleagues in the department, the GSC and other stakeholders. Provide quality service and legal advice to the GSC and other stakeholders.
- Be the focal point for external legal advisors.
- Support trademark a management across the federation.
- Perform other duties and assist with other legal efforts and tasks as assigned.
- University degree in Austrian law; a degree or certification in International Law/Humanitarian Law would be of added value
- A minimum of seven years of proven work experience in legal services with focus in one or more of the following areas: Austrian Employment Law, Austrian Corporate Law and/or Contract Law, Data Protection Law
- Expert knowledge of Austrian Law
- Professional experience in the context of Austrian Association law and specifics regarding non-profit status
- Previous experience in negotiating, drafting and revising of contracts and agreements preferably in an international context
- Excellent analytical mindset with a keen eye for practical solutions
- Exceptional communications, presentation and facilitation skills
- Strong ability to synthetise complex information into executive messages
- Experience in working independently and prioritizing multiple demands
- Sensitivity to confidential matters, ability to maintain and respect confidentiality
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills in English and German
- Work permit or eligibility to work in the location you are applying for
- Relevant work experience in an international context
- Experience in designing and delivering trainings in the subject area
- Data protection and GDPR knowledge
- Trademark Law knowledge
- Advanced knowledge of French, Spanish or Arabic would be an asset
What we offer:
- A diverse range of interesting tasks in a leading INGO multicultural working environment
- As a responsible employer we provide a range of training schemes and encourage educational enhancement
- A salary that will be commensurate with experience and qualification
The position remains open until filled.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application in English.
The Experteer Benchmark is an Experteer service that shows you the estimated market value of a specific position. It is not given by the recruiters, and it is an estimate based solely on market data.
Experteer's estimation is based on both the analysis of internal data, as well as external information. The Experteer Benchmark is the average market value at the respective level. This value may be up to 15% higher or lower in each company (greater variation may be possible in individual cases).
The Recruiter Benchmark serves as a reference. The actual salary to be obtained depends on factors such as professional experience and expertise.